Serafini introduced Jim Dole, Director of JETS Observatory since 2001. He is from
and graduated Freeport in 1979 with
Lion Rick Eastman! He has been an amateur astronomer most of his life, a
graduate of Highland Community College ( Freeport High School HCC), and has Master
of Science degrees in both Astronomy and Computer Information Systems. Jim currently
teaches "Introduction to Astronomy" at HCC.
the Planetary Studies Foundation (PSF) assumed responsibilities of the
observatory. PSF is adding a domed
building to house a new 18 inch Dobsonian reflector telescope to be located
next to the current building, the old Park Hills Golf Course clubhouse). The
new building will be ADA-compliant (handicap accessible), and the cost for this
project is $16,000.00. PSF committed
$7,000, and so far another $1,500 has been pledged. They plan raise the needed funds and complete
this project this year. Once completed, the JETS Observatory will be renamed, "Douglas
Firebaugh Astronomical Observatory" to honor its founder and
science teacher. Jim stated that any assistance Freeport Lions can provide
would be greatly appreciated. Nice
presentation, thanks Jim. Freeport High School
March 25 Guest, Car Show Update -
Lion Rick Eastman introduced Randy Hornung, Total Touch-Up Automotive Reconditioning - Randy is helping spearhead our May 10th “Cruisin' For A Cause” Car Show. We appreciate his volunteering with all the planning and helping seek monetary sponsors. Freeport Lions board of directors approved the cost of 25 advertising signs. Jodi Miller (Manager and part owner of Union Dairy http://www.theuniondairy.com/ ), Randy Hornung (Total Touch-Up https://www.facebook.com/pages/Total-Touch-Up-Auto-Reconditioning/ ), and Lions Rick Eastman and Joe Serafini met recently to go over planning. A proposed list of sponsors was agreed upon.
If you know want to approach a specific business to be a sponsor, let Lion Rick or Lion Joe know in advance. Advertising through local radio, Chamber of Commerce, and
are still in planning stages. On May 10th, the day of the
show, Lions will be assigned to all parking lots. Parking starts at for cars to arrive, and the show and judging are
from to . There is a $10.00 fee if anyone wants a
vehicle to be in judged. We need helpers to attend the registration table and to
sell 50/50 Raffle Tickets at $1.00 each
or 6 for $5.00. More volunteers are needed to help place vehicles in the
designated areas. The next meeting for the Car Show Coordinating Committee is Stephenson County Visitors Center 4/15/14 at in the Union Dairy. All Lions are welcome to attend.
· Lion Troy Pettis celebrated a birthday on March 17th. Happy Birthday
· Lion Liz Boyer is due to give birth in July and says, "It's a Boy!". We're looking forward to his arrival but probably not as much as Liz!
· Our club received two thank you letters, one from Lions Club International Foundation for our monetary donation for their “Measles Initiative”, and one from a deserving recipient of a reading magnifier thanking us for paying for part of that cost.
· Five Freeport Lions planned to attend the District 1-D Convention in
on April 4th
and 4th, that's great. There are always a plenty of sharing of ideas
and Lionism shared at the conventions. Look for a report in next month’s “Lion Talk”. Rockford
· Center for Sight & Hearing – The board of directors voted to donate $500.00 for 2014.
· Leader Dog Program – The board of directors voted to donate for 2014..
· Sight & Sound Sweepstakes Tickets - Lion Dave Snyders says all tickets must be turned in by April 8th.
· Diabetes Awareness 4/25-26 - Lion Terry Anderson says sign-up sheet will be available at April 8th meeting.
students will be helping after
on Friday 4/25 and all day on Saturday 4/26. Freeport High School
· Dist. 1D 2014 Calendars -Cost $25.00 - contact Lion Joe Serafini. We have 3 left - get yours now.
· $1,000 Scholarship Applications - Lion Terry Anderson says we received only one application to date. If you know of someone planning to graduate from Aquin or
and attend Freeport High Schools , please remind them to complete and submit their
application. TIME IS RUNNING OUT! Highland Community College
· Distinguished Service Award 2014 - Lion Serafini says be thinking of who you want to nominate, we'll individually be nominating at the April 8th meeting.
· Slate of New Officers 2014-2015 announced - We need someone to step into the 1st Vice President role - Tell President Paul if you are interested.
o President - Richard Montgomery Lion Tamer - Liz Boyer
o 1st VP – (need officer) 1 Yr. Director - Roland Caruso
o 2nd VP - Rebecca Shriver 1 Yr. Director - Troy Pettis
o 3rd VP - Brian Burke 2 Yr. Director - Pat Davis
o Treasurer - Dennis Zimmerman 2 Yr. Director - Rick Eastman
o Secretary - Joe Serafini Tail Twister - Terry Anderson
o Immediate Past President/Membership Chairman - Paul Rampenthal
· Cub Foods Brat Stand – We submitted our application, but don't think we'll get selected based on the large number of applications from other community service organizations. We seem to get chosen every other year.
Lions 50th Anniversary 6/7 6PM - ask
Lion Joe Serafini for more
· Pecatonica Lions Diabetes Awareness Dinner 4/12 5PM - ask Lion Joe Serafini for more information.
· New shorter link developed to Lions Facebook page - URL access shortened: https://www.facebook.com/FREEPORTLIONS
· Distinguished Service Award 2014 - Be thinking of who you want to nominate. We will announce individual nominations at the April 8th meeting.
Chop Dinner - 4/6 – Our club bought 20
tickets to support the county 4H groups.
Lions can either use the tickets themselves or give the tickets away to
help feed the poor, homeless or hungry. Stephenson County
· Loaned Low-Vision Screener – Note: The recipient of our loaned low-vision screener was so pleased with our support, that they donated $50.00 to our club!
· John Deere Birdies for Charity Classic - July 2014 – The board of directors voted to donate three cents per birdie for this annual charity golf outing.
· District Officer Nominations – The board of directors voted to support the following District 1-D candidates for office: District Governor, Jim Kloepping; 1st Vice District Governor, Gary Meyers; Trustee, Dave Waller.
· State of
goes to Lion Kevin Grande for gathering & submitting documents St of
IL. Note we are not a tax exempt
organization. IL Tax
· Counter Mints in Question - We recently learned the supplier will not make mints. Lions International is looking for other manufacturers. Otherwise, we know of a supplier from
. More to
· Request for help - Service Dog Expenses – Our club received a request from a person soon to get a new service dog for our club to help with veterinarian bills and pet food. The board of directors voted to donate a maximum amount per year towards the actual cost of veterinarian bills. "Good dog!"
Calendar Planner -
Think Membership – Invite a guest to visit our club, and to then ask them to consider becoming a Lion.
Find us Online -